How to Make Pigs in a Blanket: Recipe
You could easily buy pigs in a blanket in a box and be done with it. But isn’t it more fun and satisfying to cook your own? All you need are cocktail hot dogs and puff pastry, and away you go. Pigs in a blanket are a classic appetizer for all kinds of occasions, whether it’s a holiday party, a sports gathering or just a night in with friends. You can try experimenting with your pigs by adding cheese and mustard to the mix. And, of course, lots of different toppings and dipping sauces make these bite-sized treats a great choice! In this video, WatchMojo.com shows you how to make your very own homemade Pigs-in-a-Blanket.
Recipe: How to Make Homemade Pigs in a Blanket
It is Possible to Earn On-line Start Today In your Spare Time
The Future is Binary © – What is it about bite-sized food that makes it irresistible?
– 60 mini hot dogs (about 2 pounds)
– 1 large egg
– All-purpose flour
– 1 box of thawed frozen puff pastry (17 ½ oz)
– Optional: Cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
– Optional: Dijon mustard
1. The first step is to prepare your pigs for their blanket: if you’re using the cheese, cut your hot dogs lengthwise ¾ of the way through, and place a piece of cheese in the opening. If not, just poke a few holes into the hot dog with the tip of a knife.
2. Now, on a lightly floured work surface, roll your puff pastry into a 14×11-inch rectangle.
3. Then cut it into seven equal strips – they should measure about an inch and a half wide. Then cut those into rectangles about three and a half inches in length.
TIP: If you’re using Dijon mustard for a little extra kick, you would brush that on each of your pastry pieces now.
4. Take your egg and beat it together with a tablespoon of water, and set it aside.
5. Now to roll your pigs: lay one hot dog at the narrow end of a piece of pastry, and roll it up. Make sure to brush some egg wash on the edge so it stays closed.
6. When they’re all done, brush the tops of all your appetizers with the egg wash, and let them chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
7. Place your pigs in a blanket on baking sheets covered in parchment paper, and bake them in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and slightly puffy.
These tasty treats are a great appetizer for a casual party or your next sports party, and can be served with mustard, ketchup, or you favorite dipping sauce!