Arrest made in Hold-Up investigation of 16 banks, Brandon Michael Smith, 26, a.k.a. Mummy, Joker, and Thriller Bandit, faces 36 charges | News Canada Binary.
Arrest made in Hold-Up investigation of 16 banks, Brandon Michael Smith, 26, a.k.a. Mummy, Joker, and Thriller Bandit, faces 36 charges
Work Less Earn More From your Investments Start Today
The Future is Binary – The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a multiple bank robbery investigation.
It is alleged that:
– between Thursday, August 2, 2012, and Friday, June 20, 2014, 16 banks in the downtown area were robbed,
– the early robberies were performed by passing a note to the teller, demanding money
– the later robberies escalated in violence, involving assaults, knives and firearms
– as the behaviour changed, so did the disguise
– the suspect had been dubbed the “Thriller Bandit,” the “Joker Bandit,” and the “Mummy Bandit”
On Thursday, July 3, 2014, at approximately 5:45 p.m., as a result of an investigation generated by tips from the public, Brandon Michael Smith, 26, of Toronto, was arrested.
It is further alleged that he is responsible for all 16 robberies.
He is charged with:
1) 10 counts of Robbery with Firearm
2) six counts of Robbery
3) nine counts of Disguise with Intent
4) nine counts of Weapons Dangerous
5) two counts of Assault with a Weapon
He is scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall, on Friday, July 4, 2014, at 10 a.m.
The Toronto Police Service would like to thank the media and the public for their assistance.
Please see excerpt of previous news release from Monday, June 23, 2014: